It's no secret that last minute travel, while convenient, can be more expensive than planning a trip months ahead of time. However, with National Day just a week away, a lot of people could still be scrambling to snag a last minute 4-day long weekend holiday. Below, you'll find some of the top ways to save on your National Day trip if you haven't booked your long weekend trip yet.
Check Travel Consolidators for Last Minute Packages
While it may be infeasible to try and book a cheap getaway to Europe for just 4 days, there are plenty of attractive deals to be found in neighboring destinations such as Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and even the Batam and Bintan islands. For instance, Expedia, Booking.com and other travel consolidators are currently offering offering 20-50% discounts on certain hotels in those locations. Senior travellers can also see if hotels offer senior discounts for further reductions in price, as some hotels offer up to a 15% senior discount (though you should be sure to check the terms and conditions and applicable travel dates). Alternatively, you can consider booking a flight and hotel package as these tend to be affordable and convenient for quick trips out of the country. For instance, a packaged trip to Kuala Lumpur costs around S$322 per person for roundtrip airfare and a 3-night stay.
Travel Booking Site Promotions
- Expedia National Day Deals: Hotel rooms from S$49/night for Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Bangkok, Phuket, Bali and Ho Chi Minh hotels
- Expedia Last Minute Deals: Save 35% off select hotels and S$100-S$400 off package deals for Bangkok, Hanoi, Phang Nah, Krabi and Kuala Lumpur
- Agoda: Save 8% off hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Consider Off-Season Destinations
Travelling during the off-season destinations can be a great way to save as hotels tend offer lower rates during these times than during peak season times. Destinations like New Zealand have their off-peak season in August, during which hotel prices are around 20% cheaper compared to their peak season. Not only that, there are also discounts for an additional 30-45% off. Vietnam is another idea for an off-shoulder season destination, with their low season occurring between May and September. There, the already quite affordable accommodations will be even cheaper and you won't have to battle large crowds to see popular sights.
Last Minute Staycation and Take Advantage of Local Promotions
Finally, you can consider a staycation and take advantage of what Singapore's local businesses have to offer. For instance, Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Zoo are both offering National Day promotions and Universal Studios in Sentosa is offering a 5% discount for adult tickets. You can also find National Day "staycation packages" that offer discounts and promotions to several hotels. These promotions can range from complimentary breakfast and parking to daily hotel credits.
Staycation Promotions in Singapore
- Marriott Hotel: Daily Hotel Credit of S$100
- Marina Mandarin Singapore: Complimentary buffet breakfast, free Wi-Fi and 10% off rates when booked direct
- Pan Pacific:Complimentary breakfast, free parking and Wi-FI; Prices from S$630/night
- Marriot Beach Road Kitchen National Day Brunch: S$108/person; S$178/person with alcohol
- Gardens by the Bay:S$5 discount to One or Two conservatories (not applicable to online purchases)
- Singapore Zoo: Buy Singapore Zoo Admission and get 53% off Jurong Bird Park or River Safari (onsite purchase only)
Save on Travel Insurance With Promotions
If you will be travelling internationally, it is always a good idea to consider purchasing travel insurance to protect yourself against unpleasant surprises. To save on travel insurance costs, you can take advantage of the plethora of National Day holiday promotions insurers are currently offering. For instance, Allianz Global Assistance is currently offering 53% off any of their travel insurance plans through ValueChampion. These discounted rates can save you money especially if you run into any flight delays, lost luggages or even accidents while you are abroad.