If you spend less than S$2,000/month and travel between Singapore & Malaysia, Maybank Family & Friends Card offers a great way to maximise cashback on daily spend. With as little as S$500 monthly spend, cardholders earn 5% cashback in both regions on groceries, transport, petrol, fast food & more with popular merchants like Cold Storage, Grab, McDonald’s and others. Spending S$1,000/month earns an even higher 8% rebate. At these spend levels, competitors offer–at most–3.33% cashback. And, cardholders can even earn a fee-waiver with S$12,000 annual spend. If you’re looking to maximise rewards for lower spend, Maybank F&F Card is an excellent option.
Maybank Family & Friends Card Features and Benefits:
- S$30,000 for locals
- S$60,000 for foreigners
- 8% rebate on groceries, transport, fast food, health & wellness and other retail with select merchants in Singapore & Malaysia, with S$1,000 minimum spend (5% rebate with S$500 minimum spend)
- 0.3% rebate on all other spend
- Earnings on elevated rebates capped at S$50/month
- Up to 22% fuel savings with select petrol merchants (includes 8% rebate)
- Receive S$100 rebate w/ S$800 spend (req. 2 card applications + Creditable acct)
What Makes Maybank Family & Friends Card Stand Out
Maybank Family & Friends Card is a great option for average and lower spenders who spend time in both Singapore and Malaysia, as it offers elevated cashback after just S$500 minimum spend. Cardholders can earn up to 8% rebate on groceries, transport, petrol, fast food, health & wellness, and other retail with S$1,000/month spend (or 5% with S$500 spend). Only select merchants are eligible, but most popular vendors are included for groceries, transport and petrol, making Maybank F&F Card great for cashback in these categories.
- Groceries: Cold Storage, NTUC Fairprice, Finest & X-tra in Singapore; AEON BIG, Giant, TESCO & Pacific Hypermart in Malaysia
- Bus & Train Rides: Transport via TransitLink
- Taxi Rides (Singapore): Comfort/CityCab Taxi, Grab, Premier Taxi, Prime Taxi, SMRT Taxi, TransCab
- Petrol: Esso, SPC & Smart Energy in Singapore; BHPetrol, Petron & Petronas in Malaysia; Caltex & Shell in both
- Fast Food Delivery: foodpanda, KFC, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut
- Health & Wellness (Singapore): Unity NTUC Healthcare, Guardian, Watsons
- Learning & Retail (Singapore): POPULAR Bookstores & Online stores, Toys ‘R’ Us, Yamaha Music
- Leisure & Attractions (Malaysia): LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort, all theme parks in Malaysia
Maybank F&F Card does have a few limitations. Cashback earnings on elevated rates are limited to just S$50/month, and all other spend earns just 0.3% rebate. In order to optimise card rewards, consumers would need to spend between S$500 to S$1,500/month, with at least S$400 of that spend with select merchants. Within this range Maybank F&F Card is slightly more competitive than alternatives like UOB One Card.
Monthly Earnings by Spend Level
|Monthly Spend||Maybank F&F Card*||UOB One Card|
It’s also worth pointing out that while Maybank F&F Card rewards transactions in both Singapore and Malaysia–setting it apart from localized cards like Maybank Platinum Visa Card–it is not a conventional travel card. Consumers earn cash rebate instead of miles, and they do not receive special perks like airport lounge access or golfing privileges.
Ultimately, one of the best features of Maybank F&F Card is its accessibility. Not only can cardholders access elevated cashback rates after just S$500 minimum spend (compared to S$800+ with competitor everyday cards), they can also avoid paying the S$180 annual fee with just S$12,000 annual spend. People who spend time in both Singapore and Malaysia, especially those with average or lower budgets, might want to consider Maybank F&F Card.
How Does Maybank Friends & Family Card’s Rewards Program Work?
Use our quick and easy-to-read guide below to learn how you you can redeem card rewards.
- Every 1 dollar of cash rebate earned is equal to S$1
- Cash rebates are credited to the card account by the following card statement
- Supplementary card transactions count towards the minimum spend requirement, and associated cash rebates earned are awarded to the Principal card account
- Cash rebates are non-transferable, and any accumulated rebates are forfeited with account termination
Maybank Family & Friends Card Rewards Exclusions
Some credit card expenditures are ineligible for earning rewards. We identify these exclusions below.
How does Maybank Family & Friends Card Compare Against Other Cards?
Read our comparisons of Maybank Family & Friends Card with other cards and learn what makes each card unique in their own way. We compare and contrast each card to highlight its uniqueness to help you identify the card that you need.
Maybank Family & Friends Card v. UOB One Card
Consumers who consistently spend S$2,000/month can maximise earnings with UOB One Card’s tiered quarterly rebate system. At this rate, cardholders earn 5% flat cashback up to S$300/quarter, and lower spenders earn 3.33% cashback (up to S$100/quarter with S$1,000/month minimum, S$50 with S$500 minimum). While rebates are flat–not limited by merchant or category–consumers who spend less than S$2,000/month have higher earning potential with Maybank F&F Card, as long as they’re willing to shop with select merchants.
Maybank Family & Friends Card v. Citi Cash Back Card
Consumers with high spend on food and transport–and who can also meet the S$888 monthly minimum–might want to consider Citi Cash Back Card. Cardholders earn 8% cashback on groceries, dining, petrol and Grab, up to S$100/month. While earnings are not merchant-restricted and key categories earn higher rewards, Citi Cash Back Card’s minimum is high and there’s a S$192.6 fee. Those looking for a more accessible card might consider Maybank F&F Card.
Maybank Family & Friends Card v. POSB Everyday Card
POSB Everyday Card is an excellent all-in-one rebate card with SMRT Card functionality. Cardholders earn up to 15% on dining & online food delivery, 10% on transport and overseas spend, 5% on groceries, 3% on personal care, and 1% on recurring bills–with select merchants only. While versatile, POSB Everyday Card’s eligible merchants are more restrictive for groceries and transport, and most rates require S$800 minimum spend. Lower spenders and those looking for a broader range of vendors in food and transport might prefer Maybank F&F Card.
Maybank Family & Friends Card v. Maybank Platinum Visa Card
While Maybank Platinum Visa Card is also a great cashback card for lower spenders, cardholders benefit almost exclusively from local spend. Consumers receive 3.33% rebate up to S$30/quarter for S$300/month spend, or S$100/quarter for S$1,000/month, locally only. Overseas spend earns just 0.3%. Consumers who spend time abroad, especially splitting time between Singapore and Malaysia, can earn more cashback with Maybank F&F Card.