2020 Essay Prompt
As the world continues to wrestle with the unprecedented challenge of COVID-19, millions of families are faced with greater financial hardship as a result of economic shutdowns or even personal illness. The current crisis makes it more important than ever for people to extend a helping hand to friends, family, and neighbors who may be struggling.
ValueChampion would like to hear the stories of students who stepped forward to help someone that encountered financial difficulty in 2020. In a response of 800 words or fewer, please share your experience with the following questions to guide you.
- How did you become aware of the problem? What motivated you to help?
- What steps did you take or recommend to handle the problem?
- What has this experience taught you about handling your own finances?
The scholarship committee will review all submissions on an equal basis so long as they are complete and received before March 31, 2021. Awards will be granted as follows:
- One first-place winner will be selected to receive a cash prize of S$1,500
- One runner-up will receive S$1,000
- One third-place winner will receive S$500
The results of the contest will be announced by April 30, 2021. Winning students will have their essay responses published on the ValueChampion website and be invited to an interview to further share their story of financial empowerment.
How to Apply
The contest is open to students currently enrolled in a university or polytechnic located in Singapore. Students enrolled at the Institute of Technical Education are also invited to participate.
Your essay response should be written in English and consist of no more than 800 words. Completed responses should be submitted to [email protected], no later than March 31, 2021. Please send responses using your university-affiliated email address.
Finally, you must include all of the following information along with your essay submission:
- Full name and school email address
- Name of your academic institution
- Major/program and expected year of graduation
- Single-page resume describing your extracurricular activity