The Housing Development Board (HDB) in Singapore has scheduled a Build-to-Order (BTO) launch for May 2021. The locations that will have the BTO flats are Bukit Merah, Geylang, Tengah, and Woodlands. Depending on your profile, some locations may be more interesting than others. Look at the table below to see some more details on the released launch sites and number of flats offered followed by characteristics of each of the four locations.
These are areas that have typically been around for over 20 years and have better amenities. These areas also tend to be more expensive.
Bukit Merah is the most attractive location on the list due to its mature location sitting right on the future Greater Southern Waterfront. The area is going to be beside Telok Blangah Neighborhood Centre, which is surrounded by restaurants and public transportation. This location will only have 170 units, making it extremely difficult to get one of these flats. This is also a prime location for those who love being around nature as it will be close to Telok Blangah Hill Park, Mount Faber Park, and potentially the Greater Southern Waterfront. As for malls, the closest two are Alexandra Retail Centre and VivoCity.
This area is great for those looking to get an apartment in a prime location with beautiful views and nearby amenities. The Greater Southern Waterfront is also a major incentive for anyone looking to acquire a flat. That being said, the HDB is only offering 170 units so it might be better to focus most of your energy and attention on areas that offer better odds. The Keppel Club is also projected to be replaced by a high rise, which could obstruct this development's waterfront view in the future. Either way, Bukit Merah is set to be the BTO site with the highest demand.
- Total approximate units: 170
- Site location: Telok Blangah Drive, Telok Blangah Street 32
- MRT: Telok Blangah MRT Station (Circle Line), Labrador Park MRT Station (Circle Line), HarbourFront MRT Station (North-East Line)
- Bus Interchange: HarbourFront Bus Terminal, Bukit Merah
- Some Schools: Blangah Rise Primary School and MOE Kindergarten at Blangah Rise
- Amenities: Telok Blangah Community Club, Labrador Park, Depot Heights Shopping Centre, Safra Mount Faber Club, Radin Mas Community Club, PSA Club, Moral Welfare Home, Nursing Home, Vivo City, HarbourFront Centre
Geylang is the second and last mature location for the May BTO launch. Geylang has had a recent BTO launch where the 4-room flats were oversubscribed with applications 19.1 times the supply of units. Geylang is a hotspot with nearby showing malls at Paya Lebar and access to public transportation.
This may be the better option for individuals or families looking to settle in a mature area due to the chances of landing a spot with 1,380 units available. The area is also great for potential landlords that are looking to purchase and rent their flats out as it is close to industrial areas. This is a very attractive option and can be seen as a top choice.
- Total approximate units: 1,380
- Site location: Paya Lebar Road, Ubi Avenue 2
- MRT: Macpherson MRT Station (Downtown Line), Macpherson MRT Station (Circle Line), Mattar MRT Station (Downtown Line), Ubi MRT Station (Downtown Line), Aljunied MRT Station (East-West Line), Paya Lebar MRT Station (East-West Line), Paya Lebar MRT Station (Circle Line), Eunos MRT Station (East-West Line)
- Bus Interchange: Eunos
- Some Schools: Canossa Catholic Primary School, Saint Margaret’s Primary School (holding), Geylang Methodist Primary School, Maha Bodhi School, Geylang Methodist Secondary School, Manjusri Secondary School, Nexus International School
- Amenities: Macpherson Community Club, Market and Food Centre, Neighbourhood Centre, Lifelong Learning Institute, Paya Lebar Square, Paya Lebar Quarter, Polyclinic
Non-mature areas are usually newer (under 20 years old) and have less amenities for residences. This includes malls, schools, and public transportation. These areas are cheaper, but can serve as good long-term investments as they could be up-and-coming areas with great growth opportunities.
Woodland is one of the two non-mature areas for the May BTO launch and has the highest growth projections between the two, arguably making it the better choice. Woodlands will have a development that is 100 hectares called the Woodlands Regional Centre where many research facilities and jobs will be set in a campus like environment. The time horizon for this project is about 15 years, so this would be for those interested in purchasing a place for the long haul. This area is also near restaurants, malls, and is a short walk from public transportation.
The HDB is putting up 1,540 units for grabs and is a great opportunity for younger people looking to settle in a place long-term. This could also pan out to be a great investment opportunity for the long-term once the Woodlands Regional Centre is complete.
- Total approximate units: 1,540
- Site location: Woodlands Avenue 1
- MRT: Woodlands MRT Station (North-South Line), Woodlands MRT Station (Thomson-East Coast Line), Marsiling MRT Station (North-South Line), Woodlands South MRT Station (Thomson-East Coast Line)
- Bus Interchange: Woodlands
- Schools: Si Ling Primary School, Marsiling Primary School, Fuchun Primary School, Woodlands Primary School, Woodgrove Primary School, Innova Primary School, Woodlands Ring Primary School, Fuchun Secondary School, Marsiling Secondary School, Woodlands Secondary School, Riverside Secondary School, Singapore Sports School, Former Innova Junior College (future Yishun Innova Junior College), Singapore American School
- Amenities: Causeway Point, Woodlands Civic Centre, Woods Square, The Woodgrove, Marsiling Mall, Woodlands Town Park East, Sports and Swimming Complex, Marsiling Point, Vista Point, Treehaus Park, 888 Plaza, Woodlands Community Club, Christalite Methodist Home, Polyclinic, Fuchun Community Club
Tengah is a brand new residential area and is the most recent HDB town. As a result, the area doesn't have many amenities for people to use or enjoy. The area is not very accessible and the transportation is not nearly as convenient as the other BTO areas. The nearest MRT will be Hong Mah MRT and is scheduled to open in 2026-2027. The pricing and purchase might not be worth it; however, if you believe in this development and want to hold for the long run, this could be the spot for you.
- Total approximate units: 780
- Site location: Tengah Central, Tengah Garden Walk
- MRT: Tengah MRT Station (Jurong Region Line, under construction), Tengah Plantation MRT Station (Jurong Region Line, under construction), Hong Kah MRT Station (Jurong Region Line, under construction)
- Schools: Jurong Primary School, Fuhua Secondary School, Jurongville Secondary School, Dunearn Secondary School, Dulwich College (Singapore), Millennia Institute
- Amenities: Community Club (under construction), Neighbourhood Centre (under construction)
Purchasing a home is very capital intensive and depending on your financial situation it may be best to keep an eye on the best home loan rates for BTO flats to ensure you get a mortgage that fits your needs and financial requirements. If this is your first home and you are looking for more tips, check out the ValueChampion guide for new homeowners.